Precision Land Leveling (PLL) is a farming technique that involves the mechanical process of grading and smoothing land to achieve a uniform and precise plane surface. This technique is becoming increasingly important in the face of water scarcity, as it allows for more efficient utilization of available water resources and can improve water productivity at the farm level.
The traditional method of PLL involves using bucket type soil scrapers and tractor mounted rear blades, but this process can be laborious and expensive. To overcome these challenges, new technologies have been developed to streamline the PLL process, such as laser-guided grading systems that use GPS to achieve precision and accuracy in land leveling.
One of the main benefits of PLL is that it can help to reduce water consumption by ensuring that water is distributed evenly across the land surface, thus minimizing runoff and increasing infiltration. This can lead to significant water savings and improved crop yields.
In addition, PLL can also help to reduce soil erosion, improve soil structure and increase soil fertility, leading to improved crop health and reduced input costs. Moreover, the uniformity of the land surface achieved through PLL can facilitate the use of mechanical planting and harvesting equipment, which can further reduce labor and input costs.
Overall, PLL is an effective and practical solution to address the water scarcity challenges faced by farmers, and it has the potential to improve farm productivity and sustainability while reducing input costs. As technology continues to improve, PLL is likely to become an increasingly popular technique among farmers around the world.
Using Laser Land Leveling Technology for Enhancing Water Productivity and Efficiency in Agriculture:
Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation (LASER) Land Leveling is a highly effective technology for improving water productivity and minimizing water application losses in farming. This technology was first introduced in Punjab in 1985 through the on-farm water management (OFWM) program, and has since proven to be a highly efficient tool for achieving precise land leveling in a shorter amount of time.
The use of LASER technology in PLL has many advantages over traditional leveling methods. It provides greater precision, uniformity, and accuracy, resulting in a smoother land surface that is better suited for optimal crop growth. This uniformity also allows for more efficient water application, reducing water losses due to runoff and increasing infiltration rates, which can lead to significant water savings and improved crop yields.
Furthermore, LASER land leveling is highly efficient, reducing the amount of labor required for land leveling and reducing the time and fuel needed for machinery. This can significantly reduce input costs for farmers, making it an attractive option for those looking to improve their profitability and sustainability.
In addition to its practical benefits, LASER land leveling also has environmental benefits. It can reduce soil erosion and the need for pesticides and herbicides, leading to improved soil health and reduced input costs, while contributing to the long-term sustainability of agricultural production.
Overall, LASER land leveling is a highly effective and practical solution for improving water productivity and achieving precise land leveling in a shorter amount of time. Its benefits extend beyond improved crop yields and water savings, providing a more sustainable and efficient approach to land leveling for farmers
Components of a LASER Land Leveling System for Precision Farming:
The LASER land leveling system is a highly advanced technology that enables precise land leveling and improved water productivity in agriculture. The system consists of several key components that work together to achieve accurate and uniform land leveling.
The LASER controlled land leveling system includes a LASER transmitter, which emits a LASER beam that is intercepted by a signal receiver. The receiver is typically mounted on a leveling blade attached to a tractor, which is used to grade and level the land surface. The LASER beam provides a precise reference point for the receiver, allowing for accurate and uniform land leveling.
The system also includes an electrical control panel, which is mounted on the tractor and interprets the signal from the receiver. The control panel opens or closes a solenoid hydraulic control valve, which raises or lowers the leveling blade as needed to achieve the desired land surface elevation.
One of the key advantages of the LASER land leveling system is its ability to operate on single or dual graded slopes ranging from 0.01 to 15 percent. This allows for precise leveling of land surfaces with varying degrees of slope, making it a highly versatile and efficient tool for farmers.
Overall, the LASER land leveling system is a highly effective and efficient technology for achieving precise land leveling and improving water productivity in agriculture. Its components work together seamlessly to provide accurate and uniform land surfaces, reducing water loss due to runoff and improving crop yields.
Benefits of Precision Land Leveling with LASER Technology:
Precision Land Leveling using LASER technology has several benefits that have been proven through impact assessment studies. The use of this technology reduces the cost of land preparation, saves irrigation water, and increases crop yields. LASER technology ensures a high degree of accuracy in a shorter amount of time compared to traditional land leveling methods, resulting in cost savings for farmers. Uniform land surfaces improve seed germination and increase fertilizer use efficiency, resulting in improved crop yields.
An impact assessment study carried out by PIPIP Monitoring and Evaluation Consultants in 2018 revealed that Precision Land Leveling using LASER technology resulted in a 25% water saving, 23% improvement in crop yield, 11% enhancement in fertilizer use efficiency, and 18% saving in farm labor. This translates to an annual net revenue generation of PKR 410,000 and an Economic Internal Rate of Return (EIRR) of 29.6%. Overall, LASER Land Leveling technology offers a range of benefits that can improve the efficiency and productivity of agriculture. Here are some of the key benefits:
- Minimizes cost of operation: LASER Land Leveling reduces the cost of land preparation by reducing the amount of soil that needs to be moved. This results in significant cost savings for farmers.
- Ensures better accuracy in less time: With LASER technology, land leveling can be completed with a high degree of accuracy in much less time than traditional methods. This saves time and resources for farmers.
- Saves irrigation water: Precision Land Leveling reduces water application losses and increases the efficiency of water use. This saves irrigation water and reduces the cost of water for farmers.
- Uniform seed germination: By creating a uniform land surface, Precision Land Leveling ensures that seeds are planted at a consistent depth, resulting in uniform seed germination and better crop establishment.
- Increases fertilizer use efficiency: With a uniform land surface, fertilizer can be applied more evenly, resulting in better uptake of nutrients by plants and increased fertilizer use efficiency.
- Enhances crop yields: Precision Land Leveling has been shown to increase crop yields by up to 23 percent, according to an impact assessment study carried out by PIPIP Monitoring and Evaluation Consultants.
- Saves farm labor: Precision Land Leveling reduces the need for manual labor, which results in cost savings for farmers and improves efficiency.
- Gateway to mechanization: Precision Land Leveling using LASER technology is a precursor for on-farm water management (OFWM) interventions and other mechanization technologies in agriculture.
Overall, LASER Land Leveling technology offers a range of benefits for farmers and agricultural practitioners, including cost savings, time savings, and improved water use efficiency, and increased crop yields.
Financial Assistance for LASER Land Leveling in Punjab, Pakistan:
The government of Punjab has recognized the importance of Precision Land Leveling using LASER technology and has taken steps to encourage its adoption among farmers. In the past, the government provided one-time financial assistance to 11,500 farmers and service providers in the Punjab for the procurement of LASER land leveling units. This financial assistance has helped many farmers adopt this technology and improve their agricultural productivity.
Currently, the government is providing financial assistance of Rs.250, 000/- per unit to farmers and service providers in the irrigated areas of Punjab. This financial support is aimed at reducing the cost of adoption of this technology and encouraging more farmers to invest in LASER land leveling units.
The financial assistance can be a significant help to farmers who may not have the resources to invest in this technology on their own. This support from the government can go a long way in promoting the adoption of Precision Land Leveling with LASER technology and improving agricultural productivity in the region
Procedure Obtaining LASER Land Leveling facility
- Obtain the application form for financial assistance for LASER land leveling from the office of Deputy Director Agriculture (OFWM)/Assistant Director Agriculture (OFWM) or download it from the OFWM website.
- Additional information about the financial assistance can be obtained from provincial, divisional, district, and tehsil level OFWM offices or from the OFWM website.
- Fill out the application form with accurate and complete information.
- Attach all the required documents as mentioned in the application form.
- Submit the application form along with the required documents to the concerned office.