The project aims to develop and improve the on-farm water conveyance system in non-canal command areas of Punjab to promote irrigated agriculture and enhance water productivity. The key objectives of the project include:
- Develop and improve the water conveyance network outside canal command areas to ensure efficient on-farm water conveyance.
- Promote irrigated agriculture in non-canal command areas through the development of irrigation conveyance networks.
The major activities to be carried out under the proposed project include:
- Mobilization of 3,000 Water Users/Farming Communities in Riverine/Outside Canal Command Areas:
- Raise awareness among the farming community about the project.
- Engage with farmers and encourage their participation.
- Mobilize 3,000 water users to actively participate in the project.
- Development and Rehabilitation of 3,000 Irrigation Conveyance Systems in Riverine/Outside Canal Command Areas:
- Construct new irrigation conveyance infrastructure.
- Rehabilitate and improve existing conveyance systems.
- Ensure the proper functioning of the conveyance networks.
The project is expected to be implemented over a period of four years, from 2022-23 to 2025-26.
The total estimated cost of the project is Rs. 2,600.802 million, with the following breakdown:
- Total Cost: Rs. 2,600.802 million
- Government Share: Rs. 2,000.000 million
- Farmers' Contribution: Rs. 600.802 million
The project will be implemented in non-canal command areas throughout Punjab, excluding the flood-prone (Khaddar) and restricted areas along the rivers as notified by the Irrigation Department.
By implementing the project in these specific areas, the focus will be on regions that require attention in terms of water conveyance and irrigation infrastructure.
The project's shared financial investment showcases the collaborative nature of the project, with both the government and farmers working together to improve the water conveyance system and promote irrigated agriculture.
Overall, the project aims to enhance the on-farm water conveyance system in non-canal command areas of Punjab, thereby supporting irrigated agriculture and contributing to agricultural development and food security in the region.