Selection procedure/criteria for interested farmer/Water Users' Association for various components under PIPIP are described hereunder:
The procedure/criteria to take up watercourses for improvement is as below:
- Watercourse has not been previously improved
- The farmers are willing to form a Water Users Association (WUA) and agree with the cost sharing arrangements
- The shareholders agree to re-construct katcha portion of the watercourse prior to commencement of lining work
- Sections of watercourse to be lined should have:
- Head reaches having maximum usage and flows
- Elevated sections susceptible to leakage, over topping, and spillage
- Portion of watercourse crossing / passing through / along villages/roads
- Sections having sandy/porous soils
Additional Lining of Partially Improved Watercourses
The criteria/procedure to be adopted for completion of lining on an already improved watercourses is as follows:
- The watercourses improved prior to NPIW would only be eligible for undertaking additional works under the scheme.
- Only those already improved watercourses would be undertaken for additional lining where the lining works have been done under less than permissible limit.
- The additional works will be undertaken on the already improved watercourses subject to observance of following criteria that will be ensured by deploying the project implementation supervision (PIS) consultants.
- Sections of watercourse to be lined will be selected as per following criteria.
- Proper maintenance of lined (pacca) and earthen (katcha) sections would be pre‑requisite for qualifying a watercourse for additional work.
- The PIS Consultants will check and approve the designs and cost estimates, hold spot checking during execution of the scheme, and finally certify the completed work.
- A complete case accompanied with inventory of previously executed works and those planned to be covered under the proposed project, duly marked on the topo map, will be submitted to the PIS consultants for its scrutiny, checking and approval.
- A committee comprising of representatives of Project Director (PMU), PIS consultants and concerned District Officer (OFWM) would finalize the watercourses for additional lining in various districts
Rehabilitation of Irrigation Schemes
The criteria/procedure for rehabilitation/development of irrigation schemes in non-canal commanded areas is given below:
- Availability of water source for maximum period of the year like perennial water stream (nallah), small dam, mini dam, water storage pond/tank, tube well/turbine, dug-well etc.
- Adequate quantity of water for irrigation
- Command area of at least 40 canals (5 acres)
- Maximum water head/ lift depth of 50 meter
- Output capacity and development status of the land resources
- Drainage relief of scheme area for evacuating excessive water
- Initial and operational cost effectiveness (maximum PKR. 15,000-20,000/acre)
- Affordable for the farmers to contribute their share
- Availability of materials/skilled labor at comparatively lower cost
- Implement-able within stipulated time frame
- Socially acceptable
- Maximum number of beneficiaries/ formation of Water Users Association
- Environment friendly, particularly causing no threat to natural habitat
- Desirability/demand/enthusiasm of local community
- Accessibility for development
- Schemes with maximum potential to improve income/livelihood of the community
- Free from any litigation among beneficiaries
Provision of LASER Units to Service Providers
An applicant will be eligible for the grant of financial assistance provided that the person:
- Possesses a tractor capable of operating LASER unit
- Is owner/tenant and self-cultivator of land not more than 12.5 acres and is preferably agricultural machinery service provider or an agricultural graduate possessing requisite land ownership
- Willing to rent out the equipment for LASER land leveling in the area
- Undertakes to carry out/provide rental services for LASER land leveling of 300 acres per unit annually during project period
- Agrees to pay full amount of financial assistance received for the purpose as arrears of land revenue in case of violation of any of the conditions of the scheme
Installation of High Efficiency Irrigation Systems
The farmers are invited to apply for grant of financial assistance equivalent to the prescribed cost of the HEISs to be installed on turn-key basis. The application forms will be screened in accordance with the following criteria:
- Should not have received subsidies for more than 4 hectares through earlier government schemes. If the previous scheme has covered less than 4 ha, then the applicant will be eligible for the remaining acreage;
- Has an assured/reliable water source either in his own right or under contract arrangements from neighbouring farmers.
- While assessing the water availability, multiple sources should be considered instead of assessing from only one source
- Agrees to contribute remaining cost of system installation other than contributed by government. It is assumed that cost of system would cover the complete installation of various items depending on specific situation where system is to be installed
- Must agree to contribute the land and the cost over and above the government subsidy, if the water storage pond would be required. The SSC will design the reservoir or tube well taking into account predominant crop rotation, capacity of the water source, rotation interval, soil conditions and will propose least cost solution for lining or installation of tube well
- Is willing to mobilize operation and maintenance expenditure for post installation period
- Undertakes to provide support and assistance to the project staff, supply & services companies, and consultants during their activities pertaining to the site surveys, installation of equipment, and other civil works
- Is owner/tenant and self-cultivator of land (in case of absentee owner, there is well-versed farm manager)
- Is not defaulter of any revenue/financial institution
- Will not remove or sell or transfer or hand over possession of installed system to any person in any form within three years after installation
- Agrees to get the operator of irrigation system trained in operation, trouble‑shooting/repair & maintenance from SSC/government
- Will abide by the decision of the allotment committee
- Agrees to abide by any other condition specified by the government
- Will be liable to pay full amount of financial assistance received for the purpose as arrears of land revenue in case of violating any of the conditions specified by the government
- Is easily accessible, preferably frequently visited by the farmers
- Land is not severely degraded on account of water-logging, salinization, alkalization etc.
- Is under a cultivated cropping pattern or with adequate potential for successful cultivation and sufficient economic returns
- Topography is not broken by the ditches / other obstacles which cannot be resolved through economic design interventions